Search This Blog

Vendange, France 2009

Vendange, France 2009
Sjaantje/Emile picking grapes for wine making

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Weekend update

Hi kids!

Just a quick note to say hello and to fill you in on our ever-so-exciting-ongoing-adventures! It's pretty hot here already, about 96 F which is what, upper 30s Celsius? That tiny pool in the backyard is looking pretty good about now, regardless of the algae and giant bullfrog monster. I'm in the process of building an altar for the God of Air Conditioning.

This morning I decided to do some outdoor cleaning up and gardening. So, keenly picking up on the local fashion at the manicure/hair salon the other day, I outfitted myself with super short shorts, a skin tight wife-beater (tank top) and, yes, boots before venturing into the front yard. Unfortunately I don't have any cowboy boots so my hiking boots had to suffice. In spite of my unfashionable boots, I was apparently worthy of random horn honking - a country man's way of paying a compliment. I probably would have been more successful if I'd been atop a riding mower or horse instead of clipping the hedges with my kitchen scissors. Oh well; I'm sure I'll learn as we go along.

Hedges done, leaves raked, spider webs and wasp nests washed away plus 3 blisters later, Henk returned from his daily excursion to Home Depot (I'm pretty sure he has a girlfriend who works there) bringing with him some herb seeds. Henk and I elected Sjaantje to be the official 'planter of the seeds' since the only thing that grew in our herb garden in Fourques was the parsley that she planted one and a half years ago. (If you remember, we had a parsley jungle but absolutely nothing else.) Sjaantje has now planted Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary and rather unfortunately Tarragon - I cannot stand Tarragon. I hope the other herbs will thrive. I intend to get some more seeds: parsley, scallions, cilantro, maybe some tomatoes and peppers. The herbs are in large terra cotta pots on the front porch - can't wait for them to cultivate.

Sjaantje had two girls over to spend the night last night. First we wowed them with frozen pizza and Blue Bell ice cream (that's a Texas brand) both of which they loved; then this morning Henko made crepes, which they hated. Despite their culinary addictions, the two girls - Josie and Nelly - are quite nice, well mannered and cute. David's granddaughters, of course.

As I type this, Henko is making some Mango ice cream. God, the mangoes here! If you love mangoes, you should be very jealous. Tonight we'll have a rack of lamb, Texas tomatoes and mango ice cream. Wish each of you could join us!

Tomorrow we are going to check out an equestrian center. The prices of horseback riding lessons here are about 3 times the rate in Fourques/Montauriol. Not too happy about that. So we're checking out our options for Sjaantje. It may be better to train the horse that David has for Sjaantje and have someone come out to teach Sjaantje at the same time. We'll see.

After the equestrian center, we're invited to have a cocktail at an old friend of mine's house - about 15 miles from us. My friend is a fairly masculine and blonde woman who has adopted two African/American children. She and her partner (read wife) wanted to know if we liked Schlitz beer. I cannot begin to express how excited Henk is about our upcoming social excursion.

Good news! Sage arrives next Friday night! She was going to come on Monday or Tuesday but alas, the teenage social calendar calls. So Friday it is. Maybe. We can't wait.

There is a Newfoundland (dog) breeder in San Antonio with whom I've been in contact. After many emails, they want to meet Wuzzy and see about possible breeding. First, he must be AKC registered which shouldn't be a problem since he has the equivalent in Holland. I'll start that paperwork on Monday. But they also want a sperm count - to make sure he can actually provide the necessities for reproduction. I'm going to let Henk handle that one. He has a way with numbers, you know.

That's it for our news. Do keep in touch!
Much love to you all -

Wend, Henk, Sjaantje/Emile and Wuzzy






No comments:

Post a Comment